Search site

Council Tax Information

We collect Council Tax from more than 68,000 households in the District on behalf of Lincolnshire County Council, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Lincolnshire and some Parish Councils. We keep less than nine percent of the full Council Tax bill, which we spend on local services. The largest percentage is given to Lincolnshire County Council. The Police and Crime Commissioner for Lincolnshire takes the second largest share.

Council Tax is charged based on the valuation band of your property. You can see the charge for each valuation band in the pdf icon Council Tax charges 2017-18 [46kb] document.  More information about Council Tax in East Lindsey, including information about how your money is spent, is available in our pdf icon Council Tax Factsheets [804kb].

How Council Tax is charged
The amount of Council Tax you have to pay depends on three main factors: 

  • The amount of money needed to pay for the services provided by us, Lincolnshire County Council, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Lincolnshire  and Parish Councils 
  • The valuation band of your property 
  • Whether you are eligible for a discount, exemption or Council Tax Support

The Council Tax is made up as follows:
     •  50 per cent for the property element 
    •  50 per cent for the personal element (25 per cent each for two adults)

Our commitment to protecting your information
Information you give us will be used according to the law, in particular the Data Protection Act 1998.
We have a duty to protect the money we collect and make sure our records are correct. One way we do this is to take part in data matching exercises carried out by the Audit Commission. These exercises help to prevent and detect fraud.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What do I get for my Council Tax - apart from my bin emptied once a week?
A. Council Tax is not a direct payment for services received. Each householder contributes towards the cost of services provided locally. Your contribution is based on the value of your property.

Q. Do you control the levels of Parish Council precepts?
A. We have no control over Parish Council finances. They set their own precepts.

Q. What should I do if I think my band is wrong?
A. Please contact the Valuation Office Agency.

Q. I am not paying my Council Tax because I am not satisfied with the standard of certain services.
A. You must continue to pay your bill and raise the matter with the authority responsible for the service you are aggrieved about. If you stop paying we will take enforcement action against you.

Q. I have a Council Tax appeal outstanding - do I still have to pay? If so, can I have interest on any overpayment?
A. Yes you do still have to pay. The law states that payment is due irrespective of any appeal or claim that is outstanding. There is no provision in law for interest to be paid on overpaid Council Tax.

Powered by GOSS iCM