Search site

Change in circumstances

If there is a change in your circumstances, for example, if you move address or start running a business from home, you must inform us immediately. If you receive a Council Tax discount or exemption you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change.

Moving home?

Please fully complete the questions and provide a daytime telephone number or email address in case we have any queries.

Someone moved in with you?
If you are claiming a reduction and someone else, over 18, has moved in with you, this may affect your discount.  Please fully complete the pdf icon enquiry form [33kb] and return to us.  

Living alone?
If you are now the only person over the age of 18 living in your property, you will be entitled to a Single Person Discount. Fully complete the pdf icon application form [39kb] and return to us.

Home-based businesses
Depending on the type of property, usually either Council Tax or Business Rates will be payable - some may pay both. Generally, Business Rates do not have to be paid for minor business use of the home. Where part of the home is used for one of the reasons below, then Business Rates are likely to apply:

  • used exclusively for business purposes
  • has been adapted for business use
  • where clients visit the premises
  • where you employ people to work from there

See Business Rates General Information for further details.

Other changes
If you are receiving a discount or exemption and your circumstances have changed, please provide full details via email at or telephone us on 01507 601111, selecting Council Tax and hold to speak with an advisor.

If you think that you may now be entitled to a reduction, check the discounts and exemption pages

Powered by GOSS iCM