Universal Credit

If you are on a low income or out of work you may be able to claim Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit for working age people who are on a low income or out of work. It replaces a number of other benefits including Housing Benefit.

If you live in postcode area DN36 5 or DN37 0, from 13th December 2017 working age people will need to apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit. 

You will still need to make a separate claim to us for Council Tax Support

If you are a pensioner, you can still apply for Housing Benefit.

What is different about Universal Credit?

It will be paid into your bank account in one monthly payment

Help with housing costs will be included, so you may have to pay your landlord yourself

Most claims will be made and managed online.

Managing your Money

If you are not used to managing a monthly household budget, the Money Advice Service Budget Planner can help you take control.

You'll receive your first Universal Credit payment around 5 weeks after you've applied. If you won't have enough money to live on, you can ask for an advanced payment.

Paying your rent should always be your priority. If you owe rent or struggling to pay, ask if housing costs can be paid directly to your landlord.

To find out more about Alternative Payment Arrangements, ask at your local Job Centre or call the Universal Credit help line.

Getting Online

You will need an email address to make and manage a Universal Credit claim. There are a number of free web-based email services that you can use.

You can access your account on a tablet, smartphone or computer. If you do not have access to a computer or internet, there are places where you can go to get help.  Check our free access computer map to find out what's near you.

Universal Credit helpline is free to call.  If you need help to make or manage a claim 0800 328 9344