Toggle menu

Housing Options for people leaving the Armed Forces

There is a range of information and services available for Service leavers and Veterans to assist them with accessing and maintaining suitable accommodation both on discharge and later in life.

Social housing

If you wish to apply for social housing, you will need to complete the online application. If you require any assistance with this, you can contact the Housing Hub on 01507 613135.

To be considered for registration, there are certain local connection criteria however; you may not always have this due to your Service elsewhere. As a service member, if you do not have this local connection, we will consider you meet this local connection providing your application for social housing is made within five years of discharge. Other extenuating circumstances can be considered on a case-by-case basis (see clause 8.9 of the Housing Allocation Scheme 2021).

Veterans Gateway

The Veterans Gateway is a service that provides clear pathways for ex-Service personnel in need of housing throughout the United Kingdom and is the first point of contact for Veterans seeking support.

The Veterans Gateway is made up of a consortium of organisations and Armed Forces charities and their main aim is to make accessing services easier and provide you with any help you need or direct you to the other areas of information. Here you will find advice from a range of organisations on issues such as employment, finance, housing, independent living, mental wellbeing, physical health, families and communities.