Toggle menu

How do I appeal my band?

You can appeal to the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) if you think your band is wrong.

You should appeal within six months of moving in or becoming the owner. If you appeal, you MUST continue paying your bill. If successful in your appeal, then we will refund any overpayments made.

If you want to challenge your band, then you can apply to the VOA online - free of charge. Some companies offer to appeal to the VOA for you - they will normally charge you to do this.

The VOA cannot remove a band if a property is in poor repair. A band can only be removed if the property is derelict and uninhabitable. The VOA factsheet will give you further guidance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can I get a reduction for a factory or nuisance business nearby?
A. The VOA may consider reducing your band if changes to the physical state of the local area affect the value of your property.

Q. I have a Council Tax appeal outstanding - do I still have to pay? 
A. Yes, you must still pay. The law states payment is due even when an appeal or claim is outstanding.

Q. Can I have interest on any overpayment?
A. There is nothing in the law that allows charging interest on Council Tax.