Premises Inspection

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and our own Safety Inspectors carry out the same role and have the same enforcement powers but are allocated different types of premises to inspect. We carry out routine visits to premises. We may call without warning to undertake these routine inspections or to investigate a complaint.

Health and Safety Enforcement in the UK is split between two government bodies both of which are overseen by the Health and Safety Commission (HSC), The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Local Authorities such as us.

Broadly speaking the HSE cover Manufacturing/Heavy Industry/Railways/Powered Fairground Rides (Roller Coasters). We cover all Commercial Retail Premises, certain Warehouses, Leisure Premises such as Amusement Arcades, Swimming Pools, Gyms and Nightclubs etc.

The Health and Safety Commission (HSC) have produced guidance on what you should expect when an inspector from either body visits your premises called "When an Inspector Calls"

If businesses have been prosecuted for Health and Safety breaches, the details will be available on the HSE Prosecutions Register.

  • We aim to offer: Offer constructive, helpful advice.

  • Give an explanation of why the visit has taken place and what work or action is needed.

  • Provide a clear explanation of any formal action, if any, that will be taken following the visit and any implications for the business.

  • Make it clear what you must do to comply with the law and what is good practice.

  • Ensure all requirements will be fair, reasonable and necessary to protect the public and the safety, health and welfare of any employees, to comply with the legal duties placed on the business.

  • Be given an achievable and realistic period of time to meet legal requirements, unless there is immediate danger to individual health and safety.

  • Give you information about the procedure for appealing against any formal action taken.

  • Give an assurance that unless legal action is necessary, your case will remain confidential.


If you have been served with a formal notice, there is a right of appeal, usually to a Magistrates Court, and details about how to appeal are included with any notice.