Toggle menu

What is a Council Tax band?

Each property is valued and placed in a Council Tax band by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) - part of HM Revenue and Customs.

The amount of Council Tax you pay depends on the band. The VOA bands a property based on its value on 1 April 1991. Properties built after this date, are valued as if they had been built on 1 April 1991. The bands and property values are:

    •     Band A - Up to and including £40,000
    •     Band B - £40,001 to £52,000
    •     Band C - £52,001 to £68,000
    •     Band D - £68,001 to £88,000
    •     Band E - £88,001 to £120,000
    •     Band F - £120,001 to £160,000
    •     Band G - £160,001 to £320,000
    •     Band H - More than £320,000

Your band is shown on your bill, you can also check your band online

Further information about Council Tax bandings can be found on the VOA website.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. My neighbour's house is the same size as mine. Why are the bands different?
A. Contact the VOA and ask them to check their records.

Q. I have just bought a property. Why has the Council Tax band increased?
A. If there has been an extension or renovation to the property, the VOA will review the band when the property is sold.