Toggle menu

How is my Council Tax spent?

We collect Council Tax from more than 70,000 households in the District on behalf of Lincolnshire County Council, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Lincolnshire and some Parish Councils.

Council Tax pays for the services in your area. Without this, we could not provide essential services or help those in need. The money that we receive from you, together with the money we get from elsewhere, is spent on providing services to the community. 

We keep just over eight per cent of the full Council Tax bill, which we spend on local services. The largest amounts are given to Lincolnshire County Council and the Police and Crime Commissioner for Lincolnshire.

Our services include:

•Rubbish and recycling services
•Housing advice and homeless accommodation
•Inspecting food premises
•Handling planning applications
•Processing Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support applications

More information, including details about how your money is spent, is available in our Council Tax factsheets (PDF) [869KB] (opens new window) .

Adult Social Care

From 2016/17 the Government has allowed any council providing Adult Social Care (ASC) to increase their charge by an additional amount - this must only be spent on ASC.  If you would like more details of how ASC is calculated please see our ASC explanation (PDF) [583KB] .

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What do I get for my Council Tax - apart from my rubbish collected?
A. Council Tax is not a direct payment for services received. Each householder contributes towards the cost of services provided. Your contribution is based on the value of your property.

Q. How is the Adult Social Care percentage increase calculated?
A. The Adult Social Care increase is the percentage of the previous financial year's total for Lincolnshire County Council and Adult Social Care.