Hire Vehicles - Drivers
You must apply to your Local Council for a licence to drive a taxi (hackney carriage) or private hire vehicle. To apply you must be able to work legally in the UK and hold a full GB or Northern Ireland driving licence (or a full EU driving licence). You must also be a 'fit and proper person' - which means your background and character will be checked.
If you drive a taxi you could be booked in advance, wait at an official taxi rank or pick up passengers while on the move, for example at railway stations and busy shopping areas. If you work as a private hire driver, you would only collect pre-booked passengers. You could not be flagged down in the street or wait on or near a taxi rank.
- To be licensed as a driver with this Council you need to:
- Complete an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check
- Complete a DVLA Data Subject Enquiry Check
- Be over 19 years of age
- Pass a Group 2 vocational medical
- Have held a full UK driving licence (or legal equivalent) for at least 2 years
- Successfully undergo the Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership (LRSP) taxi and private hire driver assessment
- Undergo a written communications test & a basic multiple choice test (relating to taxi & private hire licensing)
- complete the safeguarding e-learning courses provided by Lincolnshire Safeguarding Children Board (namely the Introduction to Safeguarding Everyone in Lincolnshire & Taxi Drivers Child Sexual Exploitation e-learning courses)
- Undergo a Right to Work in the UK Check
- Hackney carriage and private hire vehicle drivers licences are normally issued for a period of 3 years.
In the very near future we will be requiring new applicants for a hackney carriage driver's licence to undergo a knowledge test of the East Lindsey and Lincolnshire areas.
LRSP Taxi and Private Hire Drivers Driving Assessment
Before you are granted a licence to act as a taxi or private hire driver in the East Lindsey District you must have passed the Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership's (LRSP) taxi and private hire driver's driving assessment. The LRSP assessment will be at your own expense.
The quickest and easiest way to book the test is by telephone on 01522 805800 (there is an email address of: firstname.lastname@example.org).
There will be two venues for the test - Lincoln or Boston. Detailed joining instructions and information will be issued to you by the LRSP.
Before the assessment, you are strongly advised to:
- take lessons with a professional driving instructor.
- read the Highway Code.
- familiarise yourself with the content of the assessment.
Taxi and Private Hire Newsletter
Have you signed up to receive our Taxi and Private Hire Newsletter? The newsletter is sent out by email. To sign up you can email us at: email@example.com and title your email 'SUBSCRIBE TO TAXI & PHV NEWSLETTER'. We will now be issuing all newsletters, consultations, etc. using the email addresses that have been 'signed up'.
Driver Applicant Pack
If you wish to receive a detailed driver licence application pack then please email your request (giving name and address - including post code) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you provide for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information visit our Data Matching webpage.