Housing Benefit and Council Tax

If you are on a low income you may be entitled to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.


If you are of working age and wish to claim help with your rent, you will need to apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit. This must be done online at www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit. You will still need to make a separate claim to us for Council Tax Support.

Housing Benefit, or the Housing element of Universal Credit, can help with housing costs. The amount you will get depends on your income and circumstances.

Council Tax Support is a reduction in your Council Tax bill based on your income and circumstances.

How do I claim it?

Can a claim be backdated?

If there has been a good reason which stopped or delayed you applying for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, then you can ask for your application to be backdated.

For working age customers (under the qualifying age for State Pension):

If you have good reasons for not claiming sooner, we can backdate your claim for up to one month before the date of your request. The good reasons must last throughout the whole period that you are asking your application to be backdated for.

For Pension Age customers (those who have reached the qualifying age for State Pension):

We can sometimes start your claim for up to three months before the date we received your application. You do not have to request this, and do not have to give us reasons

To find out if you are entitled to Council Tax Support please use the East Lindsey Council Tax Support Calculator

How long will my claim take?

We aim to process your claim as quickly as possible. The quicker you provide all the information we need, the quicker you will receive your money.

View your benefit claim online

You can log in to 'My Services' to see

  • How much you are getting
  • How we have worked this out
  • When your next payment will be made
  • The date and amounts of payments already made
  • Letters we have sent you
  • Overpayments that have been billed to you

To find out if you are entitled to any other benefits please use the East Lindsey Benefit Calculator

Discretionary Housing Payments can provide extra money to help you meet your housing costs.

If you are eligible, we will look at your circumstances to decide whether to give you award you a payment.

How much you will get and for how long you will receive the payment for will vary.

Download the form or request one from our customer service team on 01507 601111