Toggle menu

Dangerous Wild Animals

Do I need a Dangerous Wild Animals Licence?

You must obtain a Dangerous Wild Animals licence and meet the conditions if you want to keep a dangerous wild animal. You must make sure it is kept in conditions which:

· Create no risk to the public

· Safeguard the welfare of the animals.

Which animals require a licence?

The animals requiring a licence before they may be kept are listed in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 (Modification) Order 2007. The Act does not apply to any dangerous wild animal kept in:

· A zoo

· A circus

· Premises licensed as a pet shop

· A place (which is a designated establishment within the meaning of the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986).

A person is regarded as the 'keeper' of the animal if they have it in their possession. They remain the 'keeper' and therefore are responsible for the animal, even if it escapes or it is being transported.

Who can apply for a Dangerous Wild Animals licence?

The applicant must:

· Be at least 18 years old

· Own, or propose to own, and possess all of the animals that are to be included on the licence

Who cannot apply for a Dangerous Wild Animal licence?

Any applicant who has previously been disqualified from keeping any dangerous wild animal.

What to consider before you apply for a Dangerous Wild Animals Licence

Keeping any dangerous wild animal will require a great deal of commitment in order to ensure its well being. You should be certain that you are prepared to take on this commitment and have carried out the necessary research to ensure you are fully aware of the care and facilities which the animal requires. Some animals can grow quite large and need adequate space for exercise. You should consider whether you have the space to house the animal correctly.

We will not grant a licence unless satisfied that:

· It would not be contrary to the public interest on the grounds of safety, nuisance or otherwise

· The applicant is a suitable person to hold a licence and is adequately insured

· Animals will be held in secure accommodation to prevent them from escaping

Accommodation for animals is suitable with regard to:

· The construction and size of the quarters

· Temperature and lighting

· Ventilation

· Drainage and cleanliness

· The number of animals proposed to be held in the accommodation

· Appropriate steps will be taken for the protection of any animal in case of fire or other emergency

· Appropriate steps will be taken to prevent and control the spread of infectious diseases

The animals will be suitably:

· Fed

· Watered

· Supplied with adequate bedding material

· Visited at suitable intervals

· Exercised

How do I apply for a Dangerous Wild Animal Licence?

You must complete the Dangerous Wild Animals application form and send this with the correct licence payment. Once your completed application form is received, we send an officer to inspect the premises. A veterinary inspection will also be required. The applicant will have to pay the relevant inspection fees.

Before applying for a Dangerous Wild Animal Licence, please read our Licensing Policy which outlines this Council's approach to the licensing of Dangerous Wild Animals. The policy can be found under Related Documents on this webpage.

Your licence application must include the following information.

· The species of animal and the number of animals of each species, proposed to be kept.

· The premises where any animal concerned will normally be held.

· A plan of the premises where the animals will be kept and site plan of neighbouring properties must be provided identifying any key buildings nearby; hospitals, schools etc. 

· Details of all qualifications and experience of the applicant.

Basic Criminal Record Disclosure- Applicants must produce a Basic DBS Disclosure. The Disclosure will reveal the existence and content of any criminal record (not spent under the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act) held in the name of the applicant. The DBS Disclosure must not be more than one month old.

We will advertise your application publicly, on this webpage, for 28 days. We reserve the right to contact businesses/public services that live or have a business in the immediate vicinity of the site or other agencies, relevant interested bodies or others, including, but not limited to the Police, the Fire Authority and the RSPCA, in order to seek advice or information to enable the Authority to determine the licence application.

Have any new Dangerous Wild Animal licence applications been made?

All new applications for a licence can be viewed under Related Documents on this webpage.

Applications are advertised for 28 days to ensure any wider community issues are considered in relation to potential public safety or public nuisance.