Pet Shop & Pet Vending
A Pet Shop is defined as any premises (including a private house) which is used to carry on a business of selling animals as pets.
To run a business selling pet animals you need a Pet Vending Licence (Animal Activity Licence) from the Local Authority. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the Internet.
The fee for this licence in the East Lindsey District is currently £120.00.
Applicants must not have been previously disqualified under the following and other relevant legislation:
- Dog Breeding Acts of 1973 & 1999 from keeping a breeding establishment;
- Pet Animals Act 1951 from keeping a pet shop;
- Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954 from having the custody of animals;
- Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963 from the boarding of animals;
- Animal Welfare Act 2006, section 34 (2)(3) or (4).
Application Evaluation Process
Once the application is received by us it will be forwarded to an appropriate Council Officer to inspect the premises. The premises, facilities and management will be inspected to ensure they comply with the current pet shop licence conditions.
Applications are then either approved with conditions, or refused.
Local Authorities must have regard to the following (and other relevant matters) when considering an application for a pet shop licence:
- that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
- that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
- that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
- that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place
We will aim to have your application determined within twelve weeks of receipt of a valid and complete application. However, if we have been unable to determine your application in this time a licence will not be automatically granted due to animal welfare implications and therefore tacit consent does not apply. This means you must wait for us to determine the application before any pet shop activities can take place.
Apply for a pet shop licence. This facility will be available in the near future.
Failed Application Redress
Please contact Licensing Services in the first instance if you have any concerns or issues. An applicant whose application is refused can appeal within 28 days to the First-Tier Tribunal.
Licence Holder Redress
Please contact Licensing Services in the first instance if you have any concerns or issues. A licence holder who wishes to appeal against the star rating for their business can appeal to the Council.
If you have any concerns regarding a pet shop in the East Lindsey District please contact Licensing Services.
Register of Pet Shop Licences
This register is not currently available online but should you wish to see a copy please contact the Licensing Team using the contact details set out below.
The Licensing Team, East Lindsey District Council, Tedder Hall, Manby Park, Louth, Lincolnshire, LN11 8UP