Toggle menu

Temporary Event Notice - Alcohol and Entertainment

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc licensable event in England or Wales, you must give a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) to your Local Licensing Authority no later than ten working days before the event.

If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more Local Authorities applications must be made to each.

You must give a copy of the notice to the Police and the Council's Environmental Health Team no later than ten working days before the event. You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year. Your event, subject of the TEN, must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between events.

Eligibility Criteria
An activity that can be licensed must be carried out as detailed in a notice that must be given to the Licensing Authority.

The notice must be in a specific format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age. The notice should contain:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority
  • a statement relating to certain matters
  • any other required information

The matters referred to above are:

  • details of the licensable activities
  • the event period
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters

Regulation Summary

Summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process
The TEN must be given in writing, in duplicate, to the Local Authority at least ten days before the event. A fee is payable with the notice.

The Local Authority will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the first working day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

The premises user must also give notice to the Chief Officer of the Local Police Department and the Council's Environment (Noise) Team no later than ten working days before the event period.

If the Police or the Environment Team believe the event would undermine the licensing objectives they can serve an objection notice on the Licensing Authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within 72 hours of receipt of the Temporary Event Notice.

The Local Licensing Authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. They may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of crime prevention objective. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

A Police Chief may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

Counter notices may be provided by the Licensing Authority if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.

If the land or site on which your event is to be held is leased from or owned by East Lindsey District Council then you must check the terms of your lease agreement and notify the Council's Property Services Department of your intentions:

Will Tacit Consent Apply?
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the Local Authority by the end of the target completion period

Apply online
Apply for a Temporary Event Notice. This facility will be available in the near future. However, you can complete the form below and then submit the completed form by email to:

The payment of £21.00 can be made by debit or credit card over the telephone (01507 601111) during office hours.

A Word document version of the TEN form can be found on the GOV.UK website:

Failed Application Redress
Please contact East Lindsey District Council in the first instance.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the Local Magistrates' Court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Licence Holder Redress
Please contact us in the first instance.

Other Redress - If a Licensing Authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the Chief Police Officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the Local Magistrates' Court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Trade Associations
National Outdoor Events Association (NDEA)
Society of Event Organisers (SEO)
Event Supplier and Services Association (ESSA)
TSNN Online Directory