Toggle menu

Alcohol and Entertainment

We receive, process and issue licences and notices under the Licensing Act 2003. More specifically we can give advise on how to make representation against a licence application and how to request a review of any current licence.

We have a "Licensing Policy", which explains the factors that we consider when examining applications for licences. This policy also explains our aims in relation to licensing.

If problems arise following the granting of a licence, interested parties can apply for a review of the licence.

Licensing Act 2003
The Act deals with the licensing of premises and registered clubs where alcohol is sold or supplied and where regulated entertainment or late night refreshment is provided.

Premises licences authorise the following licensable activities:

  • Sale by retail of alcohol.
  • Provision of regulated entertainment.
  • Provision of late night refreshments.

Club premises certificates authorise the following licensable activities at registered clubs:

  • Supply of alcohol to members and guests.
  • Provision of regulated entertainment.
  • Provision of late night refreshments.

Personal licences allow individuals to authorise the sale and supply of alcohol in venues that have a premises licence.

Temporary event notices (TENs) allow certain licensable activities such as the sale of alcohol at temporary events.

What is Regulated Entertainment?
Regulated entertainment is entertainment provided in the presence of an audience, for the purpose of entertaining that audience. Entertainment activities include:

  • The performance of a play.
  • The exhibition of a film.
  • An indoor sporting event.
  • Boxing or wrestling.
  • A performance of live music.
  • Any playing of recorded music.
  • Performance of dance.
  • Entertainment of a similar description (such as a karaoke).

However live amplified music ceases to be classed as regulated entertainment if the following criteria are satisfied:

  • There is a premises licence in place permitting "on sales" of alcohol;
  • The premises are open for the sale or supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises;
  • Live music is taking place between 8am and 11pm;
  • If the live music is amplified, the audience consists of no more than 500 people.

In addition, live unamplified music provided anywhere will not be regarded as the provision of regulated entertainment if it takes place between 8am and 11pm, regardless of the number of people in the audience.

Also, there is no licensing requirement for amplified live music taking place between 8am and 11pm before audiences of no more than 500 persons in workplaces not otherwise licensed under the 2003 Act.

Place of Worship - Premises such as churches do not require a premises licence for activities which would otherwise be classified as 'regulated entertainment' taking place at the church.

Further information is available in the Licensing Act 2003 Regulated Entertainment document below.

Further Information
Further information regarding alcohol and entertainment licensing, as well as the relevant application forms in Word format, is available on the website (

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you  provide for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information visit our Data Matching webpage.

The fees for all Licensing Act 2003 permissions have been set by Central Government. The fees are set out below.
Regulated entertainment is a licensable activity under the Licensing Act 2003 and must be authorised by a Premises Licence, Club Premises Certificate or a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) unless it falls under any of the exemptions.
Responsible Authorities are public bodies, for example the Police, who able to comment on premises licence applications and apply for a review of a premises licence in certain circumstances.
The Licensing Team at East Lindsey District Council administers the process of licensing large scale music events and issuing licences, authorisations and permits.