Toggle menu

HB & CTS Privacy Notice

Your privacy is very important to East Lindsey District Council.

What this Privacy Notice covers

East Lindsey District Council is the Data Controller responsible for the personal information you may provide in relation to administering Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

Your data will be processed by Public Sector Partnership Services Ltd (PSPS), formerly known as Compass Point Business Services, a company owned by East Lindsey and South Holland District Councils. 

We may also use the services of other approved companies to help us deliver our services, including Capita Software Services Ltd, Xantura Ltd, Destin Solutions Ltd and Civica Ltd. 

In relation to your personal data we are committed to collecting, using and protecting it appropriately. This privacy notice explains

• How and why we collection and use your personal data
• The type of personal data that we collect
• When and why we will share personal data with other organisations
• The rights and choices you have in relation to the personal data that we hold about you

Why we need your personal data

Your information will be used to administer and maintain claims for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

We have a legal responsibility to administer claims for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support, and this forms our legal basis for processing your data (reference Article 6(1(c)) of the General Data Protection Regulations), as defined in:

  • The Housing Benefit scheme under the Social Security Administration Act (SSAA) 1992 and Welfare Reform Act (WRA) 2012, and / or
  • Local Council Tax Support scheme under S13A and Schedule 1a of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and its associated Regulations.

What we collect and how your data is used

For the purpose of administering and maintaining claims for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, East Lindsey District Council will collect personal data about you and your family.

This information collation will include:

  • Details about you and your household members such as your name, address, date of birth, sex, telephone number, email address, National Insurance Number, earned income, benefits and allowances, bank accounts, savings, investments, property ownership, rent paid, landlord details, immigration details
  • Other relevant information needed to process your claim such as your landlord details, the name of any appointees, your employers name and address.

The council has a duty to protect the public funds it administers and may use information held about you for all lawful purposes, including, but not limited to,

  • prevention and detection of fraud,
  • matching data with electoral registration records and
  • protecting public funds in investigating misuse of public money

The council is required by law to participate in National Fraud Initiative (NFI) data matching exercises. Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support information may be provided to the Cabinet Office for NFI purposes and will be used for cross-system and cross-authority comparison for the prevention and detection of fraud.

We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for detecting and preventing fraud or auditing and administering public funds as required by law.

We may pass this information to other agencies or organisations such as the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC) as allowed by law.

We may check information you have provided or information about you that someone else has provided with other information we hold. Sources of information include landlords, housing associations, letting agents, employers, pension providers, Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC).

We may also get information about you from certain third parties, or give them information to ensure the information is accurate and to prevent/detect crime and protect public funds. This includes credit reference agencies, police, Electoral Registration, Health and Social care organisations, housing services, other Local Authorities, Land Registry, The Rent Service, The Tribunal Service (for housing benefit), The Valuation Tribunal Service (for Council Tax Support).

We may share information with other organisations such as Citizens Advice, and Local Authority Services, such as Housing/Homeless and Wellbeing teams, where we have your consent and it is in your interest.

If you ask a Councillor for help we may pass information to them and other services to enable them to help you.

In the event of any overpayments, we may check or share information with your employer, Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), credit reference agencies and debt collection agencies.

Certain Council Tax information is also shared with the Electoral Registration Officer, under legislation, for the purposes of maintaining and updating the Electoral Roll. For more information on this sharing please contact the Council's Elections Team.

We will not disclose your personal information to third parties for marketing or sales purposes or for any commercial use, and we will not use your personal data in a way which may cause you harm.

Automated Decisions

Some of our processes involve automated decisions, these decisions are made either as part of our annual uprating processes before a new financial year or following information provided to us from the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP). As with all decisions we make, you will be notified in writing and you should let us know if you think this decision is incorrect.   

How long the information is kept for

Records are kept in accordance with the Council's disposal schedule and we will not keep your information for longer than necessary.

Your rights

You have certain rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) including:

  • The right to be informed
  • The right of access to your personal data
  • The right of rectification (to have any inaccuracies corrected)
  • The right of erasure (to have your records deleted)
  • The right to restrict processing
  • The right to data portability
  • The right to object
  • Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling

Further information about your rights is available on the website of the Information Commissioner's Office.

If you have a concern about the way that we are collecting or using your personal data, we ask that you contact us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office.

Providing accurate information

It is important that we hold accurate and up to date information about you in order to assess your needs and deliver the appropriate services. If any of your details have changed, or change in the future, please ensure that you tell us as soon as possible so that we can update your records.

How to Contact us:

We have a Data Protection Officer, who can be contacted if you have any questions about how we collect, store, or use personal data:

  • By phone: 01507 601111
  • In writing:

Information Management

East Lindsey District Council

Tedder Hall

Manby Park


Lincolnshire LN11 8UP