Toggle menu

Sex Establishments

Sex Establishments require a licence under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.

A sex establishment can either be a sex shop or a sex cinema.

In addition, a sexual entertainment venue will require a licence. A sexual entertainment venue is defined as any premises at which 'relevant entertainment' is provided before a live audience for the financial gain of the organiser or the entertainer. The forms of 'relevant entertainment' commonly understood to be connected with sexual entertainment venues are (though this is not a comprehensive list):

  • Lap dancing
  • Pole dancing
  • Table dancing
  • Strip shows
  • Peep shows
  • Live sex shows

Licences for sex establishments can be granted for up to one year.

Sex Establishment Licensing Policy

Although not a legal requirement, in the same way as with alcohol licensing or the licensing of gambling premises, it is considered good practice and helpful for Councils to have written policies in relation to the sex establishment licensing function.

This Council is of the opinion that the adoption of a specific sex establishment licensing policy will encourage transparency and consistency in considering and granting such licence applications. It will also provide clarity and guidance for Officers, Councillors, prospective applicants, partner organisations and the public.

This Authority's current Sex Establishment Licensing Policy can be found under Related Documents on this webpage.

Types of Sex Establishment

Three types of sex establishment are defined under the 1982 Act:

Sex shops, which are used for selling, hiring, displaying or demonstrating sex articles or publications, including R18-certificate videos and DVDs, and other items used in connection with sexual activity or associated acts of restraint.

Sex cinemas, which are allowed to show R18-rated adult films to audiences (ordinary cinemas cannot show these films).

Sexual entertainment venues, which provide live entertainment involving nudity or sexually-stimulating performances for an audience consisting of one or more people, for the financial gain of either the performer(s) or organiser.

Sexual entertainment can be lawfully provided at unlicensed venues on no more than 11 occasions per year, providing that there is at least one calendar month between such events. To hold events more frequently than this, a licence must be obtained.

Licensed Sex Establishments

The following premises in the East Lindsey District are licensed for use as sex establishments:

  • La Seduction, Grand Parade, Skegness, PE25 2UN (sexual entertainment venue)