Toggle menu

Personal Licence

A personal licence allows an individual to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol in connection with a premises licence or a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

All premises with a premises licence (under the Licensing Act 2003) need at least one personal licence holder (known as the Designated Premises Supervisor - DPS) where one of their activities is the sale or supply of alcohol. A personal licence is portable throughout England and Wales.

If you want to apply for a personal licence you must:

  • be 18 years of age or over
  • apply to the Licensing Authority that covers the area where you normally live
  • have a relevant licensing qualification*

*Further information regarding personal licence qualifications can be found on the GOV.UK website

Personal Licence Qualifications

Relevant Offences

Applicants and licence holders are required to declare details of any Relevant, Foreign or Immigration Offences for which they have been convicted.

The offences are specified as relevant offences under the Licensing Act 2003, and any convictions for these offences must be declared:

  • By applicants, within an application for grant of a Personal Licence or
  • By licence-holders, as soon as reasonably practicable after conviction or disposal of any appeal.

If charged with a relevant offence, licensees must notify the Court that they hold a Personal Licence, before the end of their first appearance in a Magistrate's Court in connection with the offence.

To see the full list of offences please see Personal Licence Relevant Offences on the GOV.UK website

Personal Licence Relevant Offences

Making your Licence Application

To make a personal licence application you must submit the following documentation:

  • a Personal Licence Application Form*
  • a Disclosure of Convictions Form*
  • the original Certificate of the Personal Licence holders qualification
  • the Original Certificate of a criminal record disclosure that is not more than one month old
  • two suitable passport photographs of yourself. One of these must be certified by a professional person on the reverse to state that it is a true likeness of yourself - we will not normally accept photographs certified by a relative.
  • the fee of £37.00 (payable via Cheque, Postal Order or Telephone debit or credit card payment)
  • evidence of your right to work in the UK (see details on the licence application form)

*Word document versions of the Application Form and Disclosure of Convictions Form can be found on the GOV.UK website:

Alternatively you can use our application form (which includes both of the above forms) - the application form can be found under Related Documents at the bottom of this webpage.

Requesting a replacement or changes to a current Personal Licence

The Deregulation Act 2015 came into effect on the 1 April 2015 and abolished the requirement to renew personal licences. Instead personal licences will carry on indefinitely until such time that they are surrendered, suspended, revoked or forfeited.

However, if your name or address has changed since the issue of your personal licence, you must notify the Authority that granted your initial application.

You can request a replacement licence including name or address changes by completing the Personal Licence change form (see below). There is a statutory fee of £10.50 for a replacement licence.

Alternatively you can make the changes by posting the following information to Licensing Team, East Lindsey District Council, Tedder Hall, Manby Park, Louth, LN11 8UP:

  • a letter confirming your new name/address
  • a cheque or postal order for £10.50 (made payable to East Lindsey District Council)
  • your original identification photo card and personal licence (paper part)

Data Matching

This Authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you  provide for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information visit our Data Matching webpage.