Toggle menu

Disabled Relief

You may get a reduction if you or someone living with you is permanently and substantially disabled. The disabled person can be an adult or a child.

As well as being disabled, one of the following conditions must be met:

  • Having a second bathroom or kitchen
  • Using a wheelchair, and enough space for it to be used, within your home
  • Having a room used for the needs of the disabled person (exclusions apply)

With Disabled Relief you will be charged a band lower than the actual band of your property; for example, a Band C property is charged as if it was a Band B. If you live in a Band A, you will be given a reduction equal to 1/9th of a Band D charge. See Council Tax charges 2023-24 (PDF) [97KB] (opens new window) for current amounts.

Disabled Relief means if you need extra space because of a disability, you are not disadvantaged by having to pay more Council Tax. See guidance notes (PDF) [42KB] (opens new window) for full details . If you think you may qualify, return the completed  application form (PDF) [493KB] (opens new window)  by email: or by post to Council Tax, East Lindsey District Council, The Hub, Mareham Road, Horncastle, Lincolnshire, LN9 6PH.

Once the form has been returned:

  • A home visit may be arranged to confirm the details provided. If this is needed, we will contact you to arrange a convenient time and we will always carry an identity card when visiting your home
  • A doctor's certificate may also be required - we will advise you if this is needed

If you qualify for Disabled Relief you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can I appeal if you do not grant this reduction?
A. Yes. You need to write to us giving the reasons why you disagree with our decision. We will reply within two months. If you still do not agree with the decision, or we have not replied within two months, you can then appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

How is my information used?