Can I get a reduction?

Details on Council Tax discounts, exemptions and empty property charges.

We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer. We may use the information you provide for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes and take part in Data Matching exercises. How is my information used provides full details.

If you live alone or are the only person over 18 years old in the property you can get a 25% discount.
In some circumstances a discount may apply.
There will be no charge if your property falls into one of these exemption classes.
If you are on a low income, you may be eligible to apply for Council Tax Support. This could reduce the amount of Council Tax that you need to pay.
You may get a reduction if you or someone living with you is permanently and substantially disabled. The disabled person can be an adult or a child.
Certain people will not be counted when looking at the number of adults living in a property.
Severe mental impairment is severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning which appears to be permanent.
If a property has been left empty due to repossession or bankruptcy an exemption can be applied.
When the occupier of a property dies, an exemption may apply from the date of death.
If you have to move out of your home to either receive care, or to provide care, there may be a reduction due.
If your property is unoccupied and unfurnished, you might be entitled to a 100% discount for up to two months.
Self contained annexes are banded separately to the main property. Depending on the circumstances there may be a discount or exemption due.
If your property has been empty for two years or more, you will be charged a Long Term Empty Dwellings Premium.
In response to the Coronavirus pandemic, the government has allocated funds to local councils to support residents financially. The fund is to help people to pay their council tax bill.