In some circumstances a discount may apply.
Certain people will not be counted when looking at the number of adults living in a property:
- People being cared for in nursing or residential homes
- Patients resident in hospital
- People who are severely mentally impaired
- Full time students and apprentices
- 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
- Care workers for local authorities or charities, on low pay, providing care for resident person
- People caring for someone who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
- Members of religious communities
- People in prison
- People staying in night shelters or hostels
- Members of visiting forces
- People who are diplomats
- People over 18 still receiving child benefit
- People staying under the 'Homes for Ukraine' scheme
There is a 25% discount if only one person is counted and 50% if none are counted.
If you live alone, you need to apply for a Single Person Discount.
Check our Furnished and Unfurnished Properties pages.
Applying for a discount
A number of the application forms and notes are available on our website. If you cannot see the application form you require, contact us at email@example.com or on 01507 601111 select Council Tax and hold to speak with an advisor.
If you qualify for a Council Tax discount you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change.