Private Water Supplies

As a rural area, many properties in East Lindsey cannot easily connect to the mains supply and a private supply is their only option for water. Private water supplies can range from boreholes to Wells and Springs. In other cases, the availability of groundwater is a cost effective way to obtain water.

The majority of East Lindsey's private water supplies are used for human consumption. Private water supplies can be used for purely domestic purposes such as cooking and washing, or for large scale commercial operations such as farming or breweries.

Farming is an important industry in East Lindsey and this has a potential impact on the quality of private water supplies. Use of pesticides can affect water quality, as can the presence of livestock.

Ensuring clean, safe drinking water is the biggest concern and this is achieved in several ways including protecting the source from contamination and secondary treatment, such as filtration and disinfection.

If you need to install secondary treatment we have provided some fact sheets from the Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) of what you should be asking your installer. There is also a link provided to the treatment guidance pages on the DWI website

Private Water Supplies Regulations

Private water supplies are regulated by national legislation - the Water Industry Act 1991 and the Private Water Supplies (England) Regulations 2016.

The Private Water Supplies (England) Regulations 2016 require that all water intended for human consumption must be wholesome and must not constitute a danger to human health.

The Private Water Supplies (England) Regulations 2016 require local authorities to carry out sampling at all supplies, except those which serve only one domestic property which is owner occupied.

Frequency of sampling

Supplies which serve up to 50 people for purely domestic use need only be sampled once every five years. Supplies which are used for commercial purposes including food businesses, holiday lets, tenanted, cafes etc. must be sampled at least once every year and more frequently if a high volume of water is used.

Under the regulations we are required to carry out risk assessments on private water supplies. These risk assessments are undertaken by professionals who identify any vulnerability in the supply and give advice on how best to protect the water source from contamination.  If you are on a private water supply and have not been contacted by us previously then you can download and complete the private water supplies questionnaire and return it to us.

Local Authorities have a duty to enforce these regulations, and this work is overseen by the Drinking Water Inspectorate

How often you need your water supply sampled depends on what the water supply is used for and the volume of water being used. The Drinking Water Inspectorate provides comprehensive guidance on how much water a supply provides and the amount of testing needed.

For current advice on private water supplies fees and charges please contact us.

Keeping your water supply safe

There are many things you can do to keep your water supply safe. Contamination from a variety of sources can occur potentially at any point throughout a water supply system if it is not robust and adequately protected. The Drinking Water Inspectorate have produced a leaflet outlining the measures you can take to prevent and remediate the main forms of contamination that pose a risk to a private water supply.

Leisure water (Swimming Pools, Hot Tubs, Spa Pools)

We can also offer, to check these meet the requirements of the Pool Water Treatment Advisory Group if you operated a facility which is open to the public to use.

Mains water

If you are having issues with mains water you should initially visit the Anglian Water or call 0345 791 9155 for assistance. We can provide advice regarding mains water quality however would normally only do so once you have spoken to Anglian Water. You can check how your water company is performing by visiting Discover Water where a comprehensive range of data covering water quality, public health, customer service and environmental aspects of water and sewerage services is available.

Rivers, streams and flooding

If you are concerned about the water quality of a river or stream, or if you require information regarding flooding, please contact your local Environment Agency office on 03708 506506.

Should you wish to report a water pollution incident or potential pollution issue, please contact the Environment Agency on 0800 807060.

Please contact us for further information.