Toggle menu

Scrap Metal

Do you buy, sell or collect Scrap Metal, or operate as a Motor Salvage Operator? If so you require a Site or a Collector's licence under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 requires that any persons collecting, buying or selling scrap, or operating as a Motor Salvage Operator will require a Scrap Metal Dealers Licence that will be issued by Local Authorities. There is a charge for this Licence.

There are two types of Licence:

  • A Site Licence
  • A Collector's Licence

An application needs to be made for your Licence with a fee payable to the District Council. We charge £1500 for a three year Site Licence and £540 for a three year Collector's Licence.

For further information on our Scrap Metal Licensing fees, please see our Scrap Metal Policy listed in the related content below.

As part of the application process, you will also need to submit a Basic Disclosure Certificate (DBS Check) that is dated within a month of your application. This costs £23 and you can apply online here.

Your Site Licence will allow you to operate a site and collect any scrap relevant to that site by appointment.

Your Collector's Licence will allow you to collect scrap only within the authority area that it was issued. You will need to apply for Collector's Licences from separate authorities should you wish to operate in more than one District.

Any person who carries out business as a Scrap Metal Dealer without a Licence may be liable on conviction to an unlimited fine.

If you would like to be sent the relevant application forms please contact the office on 01507 601111 or email

If you stop trading, please inform us within 28 days so that we can update our records.

A Public Register of all Scrap Metal Dealers operating in the UK is held by the Environment Agency.

Waste Carrier's Licence

Please note that a Scrap Metal Licence does not replace the Waste Carrier's Licence. To collect scrap metal or operate a Scrap Metal Site in the East Lindsey area you will be required to hold a Licence issued by us and a Waste Carrier's Licence that is issued by the Environment Agency. You can find out how to apply for a Waste Carrier's Licence here.

A Public Register of Waste Carrier's operating in the UK is held by the Environment Agency.

New Licensing Requirements from April 2022 - Scrap Metal Tax Checks

From 4th April 2022, there are new regulations coming in to force which will affect Scrap Metal Dealers. An application to renew a Scrap Metal Licence cannot be accepted or processed by the Council unless the Applicant has completed a Tax Check with HMRC. A unique 9-character code will be issued by HMRC once the Tax Check has been completed. The purpose of the check is for HMRC to verify your tax status. Providing the Tax Check reference number to the Council will only confirm that you have completed the relevant check and no further information will be shared with us.

First time applicants will not need to complete a Tax Check unless they already hold a Scrap Metal Licence with another Local Authority which has been valid for over 12 months. A Tax declaration will need to be signed on the application form to confirm you will make contact with HMRC to find out if you need to register for tax purposes.

For further information regarding what you need to complete see the Tax Check Fact Sheet in the related content below or visit the GOV.UK website for guidance.