Problems paying Council Tax
To give us the best chance of helping you, contact us as soon as you think you are going to have a problem paying your bill.
Before you contact us, please ensure you:
- Check if you qualify for a discount, exemption or Council Tax Support - see Can I get a Council Tax reduction?
- Review your finances - check your incoming money and outgoing payments
- Consider how we can help you resolve the problem - we can offer weekly, fortnightly, monthly and four weekly payment options
There are a number of ways to pay your Council Tax.
If we do not know you are having problems, we will continue with enforcement action and you could end up having to pay a lot more. To discuss a payment arrangement, call us on 01507 601111 and select Council Tax to speak with an advisor.
Independent Money and Debt Advice
While we are doing all we can to help our residents, we recognise there may be other debts that you also need help and advice with. If you are worried about debts or have missed payments, there is free and independent debt advice available.
- Citizens Advice gives free, impartial advice helping to resolve legal, money and other problems
- Step Change offer free, confidential, regulated debt advice
- MoneyHelper offer free, regulated money advice and can help explain what you need to do and how you can do it.
Free, confidential, regulated debt advice is available via self-referral
If you are struggling financially, emotionally or you need practical advice and help, visit Cost of Living Support
To find out what financial help is available and what you are entitled to, information is available on Help with the Cost of Living (opens new window)