Toggle menu

Council Tax Support

If you are on a low income, you may be eligible to apply for Council Tax Support. This could reduce the amount of Council Tax that you need to pay. 


You can claim online here Online claim

To qualify for Council Tax Support you must be the Council Tax payer for the property you live in and:

  • be 18 or over
  • have a low income
  • have under £16,000 in savings and capital (unless in receipt of Pension Credit)
  • not be a full time student

To find out if you are entitled to Council Tax Support please use the  Benefits Calculator

What will you need to provide to apply for Council Tax Support?

  • proof of your identity
  • proof of your National Insurance Number
  • income and savings proof for all relevant household members
  • household circumstances  

Council Tax Support for persons who have made a new claim for Universal Credit on, or after, 01 April 2020

From 01.04.20 if you are making a new claim for Universal Credit and indicate on your claim form that you wish to claim a Council Tax discount you will not need to complete a separate application form. Once we have received notification from Universal Credit we will write to you. We will assess any entitlement to Council Tax Support when we receive your award details from Universal Credit.  If we require any further information we will contact you.

If you are moving into East Lindsey and already receive Universal Credit or when you made your claim you did not indicate you wanted to claim Council Tax support, you still need to complete an application.

If you are experiencing any difficulties paying your council tax while your claim for Universal Credit is being considered, please contact us as soon as possible on 01507 601111.

View your Council Tax Support information online

You can log in to 'My Services' to see

  • How much you are getting
  • How we have worked this out
  • Letters we have sent you

To find out if you are entitled to any other benefits please use the Benefit Calculator

Paper versions are available from the link below, but this may delay you receiving a payment if successful 

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim form (PDF) [538KB]

How is my information used?