Toggle menu

Event Licensing

To hold virtually any type of event you will need to ensure that the appropriate licenses are in place.

This will either be a full Premises Licence or, if your event, including all staff, has a maximum attendance of 499 and is very short, you could apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

In addition, if you are thinking of using music at your event, you will need to check whether or not a Performing Rights Society (PRS) Licence is required. You can find out more information by visiting

Premises Licence

Premises selling alcohol, providing regulated entertainment and/or providing late night refreshment will need to be licensed under the Licensing Act 2003. We issue Premises licences as the local Licensing Authority.

What is a Premises Licence for?

A premises licence authorises the premises in question to carry out licensable activities. Almost any business that does one or more of these activities (i.e. sell alcohol, provide entertainment or provide late night refreshment) will need a premises licence. A premises licence application may also be submitted for one off large scale events, for example when an event is likely to attract over 500 people which is outside of the limits set for serving a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

What is Regulated Entertainment?

Regulated entertainment is entertainment provided in the presence of an audience, for the purpose of entertaining that audience. Entertainment activities include:

  • The performance of a play
  • The exhibition of a film
  • An indoor sporting event
  • Boxing or wrestling
  • A performance of live music
  • Any playing of recorded music
  • Performance of dance
  • Entertainment of a similar description (such as a karaoke)

There are licensing exemptions for certain classes of regulated entertainment - a guidance leaflet on the subject of exemptions can be found on our webpage regarding alcohol and entertainment:

Further Information

Further information and forms regarding TENs can be found here:

Further information and forms regarding premises licence applications can be found here: